Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ir's a new day.

So, it has been a while since I last blogged. I realized all too quickly why I gave up as suddenly as I began. I need feedback. This world of electronic dialog does not allow me to see your faces. The lack of interaction leaves me unfulfilled as a person who likes to know I'm making points when I speak. That being said, here I am again. This time prompted by news I knew I would hear one day and have finally heard. I am diabetic.

It's surreal to say although I knew it was coming. I have a strong family history on both sides, I have been hypoglycemic for most of my life and had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. So now it's official and now I get to sit on the other side of the desk as the patient. If you have spoken to me for more than 5 minutes about health issues you already know, yes - my physician wants to put me on meds and no - I 'm not taking them until absolutely necessary (which in my estimation will be in about 25 years). So I have decided to keep you informed as to my progress. It's more of a diary of my new journey than a blog about diabetes. You see, I teach my patients how to manage and in some cases, even reverse their diabetes. I have taught many workshops on the subject. Now I get to be in the boat with the millions of others who are already there or on their way.

This is going to fun. And challenging. I know my personal weaknesses and the habits that will no longer be forgiving. I have crossed the line and I cannot play with my health anymore. I have been preparing by adjusting my diet and lifestyle for years now. I have been blindly throwing supplements at it for years as well. But now I have the numbers and the facts. Now it's time to get serious. You see, as I see it, I have at least another 40+ years to live with this. I can take it by the horns or allow it to take me.

And so it begins. The first thing I did was schedule an appointment with a really good acupuncturist :)). I trust her counsel and will allow her to be my guide. I, of course, have my two cents to throw in but letting her see what's going on with me and keeping me accountable will be invaluable in staying on track. There are several issues to address - the diabetes, my cholesterol, blood pressure and peri-menopause. All of which are borderline but just above the line. Our goal is to get back under the line asap with out meds. I know it can be done, I help patients do it everyday.

I do want to make an important point. People often ask, 'What's wrong with taking the medication. Won't it control everything faster?" The answer is yes, it will get all my "numbers" in the ranges that will make my M.D. happy, but the side effects will not make me happy. And quite frankly, my happiness and quality of life is more important than his. Here is the problem. If I take the Metformin, it will lower my blood sugar but in the process I am putting myself at risk for kidney disease (a side effect of diabetes), liver disease (a side effect of diabetes) and poor circulation ( a side effect of diabetes). So why would I take something to treat a symptom of a disease that will accelerate the other aspects of the disease process? I don't get the thinking. Well, I do. It's all about dollars and who is really running this country into the ground - big pharma. If I take the oral insulin and it messes with my circulation, I will get a drug for that. That will mess with my heart/blood pressure so then I get one for that. Those will affect my stomach so I'll need to take something for that. The poor nutrient assimilation from the ant-acids will lead to joint pain so I'll need something for that. All the while my cholesterol will go up from the stress on my liver so I will need to take something for that which will give me muscle pain and another pill will be added to the mix. At this point I won't be able to sleep or poop so there go two more and there you have it, what I call "the Cocktail". Oh, I missed one, simply because of my age and sex, if I complain about these issues I will be be given an anti-depressant. These patients walk into my pratice everyday. It's tragic and I feel for our medical profession. I don't blame them entirely. The drug companies really have them by the - well you now. So, no. I will not get on that train. I have too much knowledge and resources to surrender the second half of my life to drugs. I have my "Health Care Team" to help me treat what my sick care doctor finds. My acupuncturist, massage therapist, personal trainer, chiropractor and I will get me and keep me in great health drug free.

I will keep you posted. And although I don't expect feedback, I certainly welcome it.

1 comment:

asdf said...

Be careful... I don't know, but you may not have as much choice as you think regarding insulin...

~Amos