Thursday, August 20, 2009

Reactions to my news

So it's been 36 hours since I informed you that I am now diabetic and your reactions have been surprising. I have received cheers and words of encouragement, some have been shocked because I "don't look sick", and I have received what can only be called condolences. And there are, of course, the sceptics. ("Don't play with your health. Take the drugs.") Wow, I didn't expect all that. I can see how the reactions of other people can affect how we perceive our own issues. (I, of course, am siding with the cheerleaders.) As a health care professional, I don't take sides when my patients come in. I have to remain neutral if I am going to properly assess their conditions and be able to come up with realistic courses of treatment. So I don't get emotional about these things. It's been a revelation to see how emotional all of you have been. I suppose as human beings we naturally empathize and feel for those we care about - and for that I am grateful regardless of how you reacted. I do want to make you aware, however, that not everyone has the tools I have or confidence that this is not going to take over my life. So, if you find yourselves in a place where you have to share news with others take time to understand what is going on and have a plan. Research, ask questions, be as informed as you can be from as many sources as you can get so that you can be rooted in how you feel. That will make the myriad of reactions easier to understand and handle.

That being said - I 'm taking my Chinese Tea as my boys hold their noses from the smell. It's not fabulous but I feel better already. Things are happening and I love it. I am making arrangements for my two biggest health gaps - exercise and supplements. Although I have several protocols I use with my patients, my acupuncturist and I chose the one we feel will best address my overall health picture and my products are in route. Although I get some moderate exercise weekly I have to step that up and make it consistent.

Another revelation has been understanding how people feel when their backs are against the wall. I have always wondered and here I am. I knew this was coming, I felt it in my body and knew it would be soon but now that it's here, I get it. People either get themselves together and prepare for battle or they hand themselves over in defeat. As you all know, I am a problem solver so curling up in the corner and giving my body over to "science" is not an option. But let me be clear, it's not that I don't respect or appreciate what modern American medicine has to offer. I'm sure there will be a time when I will need it. Just not at the onset of this process. Our medical system does emergency, diagnostic and surgical medicine better than anyone in the world. But it stinks at chronic illness. So for now I will rely on the systems that do chronic illness better than any in the world - natural health care which includes diet, nutrition, lifestyle, exercise and supplementation. Period. I don't need research to tell me what human history has been saying since the dawn of time. The key to managing your health care is knowing how and when to use what is available to us. We are so blessed to live in a country that affords us that freedom. Let's live like we understand that blessing and stop taking sides for the sake of argument or principle. If we all did what we do best at the right time, the world would instantly become a better place. If you use what is available to support your health and well being, in the right way at the right time, you will be amazed at quality of life you can have. TTFN.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brenda, I can sympathize. this year I have found out what the aging process can do. Nothing serious just Andropause. Clinically low testosterone. I chose homeopathics because the western meds had too many side effects. In the third month a few things are beginning to improve slightly.

Unknown said...

BTW I'm your former trainer Rick